First day on 72. Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2016 was with 178,22km the longest day on this event.
A lot of fog was in the morning, roads were very muddy.
Ogier and Tanak had fight for first place, but Ogier was too strong there. He finished with 37.3 seconds ahead Tanak on finish of Day 1. Close fight was for third place where were Neuville, Paddon and Meeke in less than sixt seconds gap. Breen rolled on SS5 after being on P6. There was just one service on the finish of the day.
Lappi had really missed service after little touch with tree on first stage, but he still finished on the lead on WRC2 section with 46.7 seconds ahead Suninen.
Overall standings after SS8:
1. Ogier Sébastien – Ingrassia Julien ( Volkswagen Polo R WRC ) 1:44:31.2
2. Tänak Ott – Mõlder Raigo ( Ford Fiesta RS WRC ) +37.3
3. Neuville Thierry – Gilsoul Nicolas ( Hyundai NG i20 WRC ) +1:09.0
4. Paddon Hayden – Kennard John ( Hyundai NG i20 WRC ) +1:12.8
5. Meeke Kris – Nagle Paul ( Citroën DS3 WRC ) +1:14.8
6. Sordo Dani – Martí Marc ( Hyundai NG i20 WRC ) +2:07.2
7. Østberg Mads – Fløene Ola ( Ford Fiesta RS WRC ) +2:37.3
8. Latvala Jari-Matti – Anttila Miikka ( Volkswagen Polo R WRC ) +3:43.6
9. Lefebvre S. – De Turckheim G. ( Citroën DS3 WRC ) +4:31.6
10. Lappi Esapekka – Ferm Janne ( Škoda Fabia R5 ) +4:55.0